Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Say hello to ...

say hello ...
... er, well, I don't have a name yet. So far she is "Star," but she doesn't actually know that name and since I know of several dogs named Star running agility, I'd like to name her something else. I've been referring to her as Cutiepie Whats-her-name. More on the name later ...

I brought "Star" home yesterday from a rescue group in Mt. Airy, NC. She had been listed on Petfinder as probably a border jack, but she looks nothing at all like any border jack I've ever seen. In my opinion she looks like a papillon/mini aussie mix. The important thing is that she's attentive, very playful and smart, and I think she will make a fun agility partner. She also has absolutely no manners at all, but I'm already working on that! She's estimated to be 7 months old, and she weighs about 12 lbs. I'm not sure how tall she is currently, but I think around 12-13." I may take her to PBH this evening and see if I can get her to stand under the wicket.

I've surprised even myself by getting another dog. I've had a couple of offers to adopt great dogs over the past few months, but I kept saying no because I really didn't think I wanted a third dog. But then Pinky broke her leg, putting her training on hold for a while. And then Lucy turned 11. She's still a fun agility dog, but she really can't do as much as she used to, particularly if it's hot. Another factor is that Pinky is likely to measure over 16", if only by a fraction, and I don't think I want to jump her at 22", so in USDAA I'll have to keep her in Performance. Nothing wrong with that, but I also want a Championship dog to run ... I'm not sure why that's important to me, but it is, and I don't want probably-too-tall-Pinky to have to work way too hard because of it.

So anyway, about her name: I've got several in mind, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I like "Miss Demeanor" (Miss D? Meana?), "She-Ra, Princess of Power" (just She-Ra or Ra for short), "Caprica Six" (only Battlestar Galactica Fans will like this one; Cappi for short) and "Alabama" (Bama or Bam). I'm also open to other suggestions (a co-worker wants me to name her "Eileen" so I can say "Come on, Eileen"). So I was able to summon just enough geekiness to make an online survey. Please play along!
Click Here to take survey

2 comments:

santos. said...

what a sweetie! i am partial to eileen, but she-ra is kinda awesome too.

my folks adopted a stray from the neighbourhood. i think it might be a jack russell/monitor lizard mix. it scares me.

Lisa B. said...

Yeah, She-Ra is a cool name ... heck, they're all cool names, which is why I just can't decide! Miss Demeanor is winning the poll, but another co-worker suggested Talladega, which I think is an awesome agility dog name.

Oh, you must post photos of your parents dog on Flickr!