Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The pros and cons of looking for trouble ...

I was discussing little Miss Alabama She-Ra Caprica Demeanor with Val, my agility instructor, and she said that before I decide to keep her I need to get her hips, knees and elbows x-rayed to make sure they are sound. I think she's thinking this way because she had her young border jack checked a few months ago and discovered that he's dysplastic in one hip, which really upset her. Not that it will stop his career or anything--I know lots of dysplastic border collies who have enjoyed long careers in agility and/or flyball. If you keep them lean and well-muscled they can do quite well. But since little cutiepie is a small dog, I started wondering about her knees--small dogs very often have luxating patellas, which can cause a lot of problems in sports.

But then Julie asked: Why go looking for trouble? Would it mean I wouldn't keep her and do agility with her? Good point. I like this dog (dang, I need to decide on a name for her SOON!!) and I think she's very smart. She's got a lot of natural attentiveness and a big desire to do stuff with me--she's not so interested in going off and noodling around on her own (makes me think there's no terrier in there!) Would I want to give her back at this point (even though I know she could get a good pet home in a heartbeat)? I think maybe not. So would it make a difference if I knew she had weak knees or a bad hip? Maybe not. Then again, after absorbing the financial shock of Pinky's broken leg, I'm not sure if I want to set myself up for a future of knee or elbow surgeries and rehab, either ...

Of course, she could always check out beautifully on all her parts and then go and break her leg in my backyard ...

In other news, a co-worker suggested the name "Talladega," which is a hellaciously good name for an agility dog! Decisions, decisons.

3 comments:

Elayne said...

I wanted to name my last dog 'Sheena' then she could be 'Sheena is a punk rocker' for her fancy name. But husband didn't like it and dog ended up being a boy anyway.

New dogs are such fun, so many possibilities and things to train.

Lisa B. said...

This time I don't have a husband to objetct to any names. Although I do have a boyfriend now, but he lives in England and it will be several years before my dogs become his. He's put his vote in for "Alabama."

Maybe I could name her "Talladega, Alabama."

Oh, and when did I think I was going to have time to train another one?

Muttsandaklutz said...

Oh she is a cutie!

Yeah, it must be different getting a dog with expectations of being able to do various sports with them. Got my two before I even knew about dogsports, but it will be on my mind for the next dog for sure. Still, like you said, they could check out fine and then go and do something silly to themselves.

Have a great time with your new little one.