Friday, December 12, 2008

Pinkmalion

Yes, I've been a bit absent from this blog, but I've been a busy dog lady. Hi again!

I've been trying to slowly turn Pinky into an agility dog. It's going to be harder than I thought, because she's turned out to be a bit of a shrinking violet when it comes to doing obstacle sequences. She feels no need for speed. She's a quick learner, but when it comes time to actually do some obstacles (outside of my yard at least--at home she gets quite speedy) she gets very slow and deliberate about it all. So as long as the competition takes place in my yard we'll be good to go ...

There is the saying that "you get the dog you need." In other words, you get the dog that will make you grow and develop as a trainer and handler. Well that may be and Pinky is definitely forcing me to learn and try new things, but I'm looking with longing at my friend's border-jacks, who come hard-wired for action and do nothing slowly. I start thinking that maybe I need one of those and that Pinky would be just as happy as a non-agility dog. She absolutely loves my sofa ...

At least Lucy is still happy to run for me. We've have competed a bit lately in NADAC and USDAA, and I'll be doing a local CPE trial this weekend. We do veterans in CPE and NADAC and I've moved her into Performance in USDAA, so she'll be jumping 12" from now until retirement.

Several weeks ago at a NADAC trial I discovered a way to make Hoopers actually fun and challenging: you have to run someone else's dog! So here I am trying to run a dog named Tanner ... if it weren't for an off-course jump at the end we would have Q'd:


I run Tanner in Hoopers from bunchofpants on Vimeo.

And here is Lucy running for Ryan Arnold, a friend's son. He's taken classes with one of their dogs but this is the first time he's run an entire couse in competition with a dog. They Q'd!!


Ryan runs Lucy in Hoopers from bunchofpants on Vimeo.

3 comments:

Ben Mcfuzzylugs said...

So true, you get the dog you need

My Ben, who might be a borderjack but is v thoughtful and slow. But training him was good training for me and we are both picking up speed
and the little start won his 1st ever (and only so far) comp

Now my foster dog is more on the 'do 1st think about it later' kind of dog, I am going to take her to classes in Jan, should be fun

I cant get the videos to play which is a shame, but well done anyway

Suzzie said...

as long as your dog's having fun, who cares how fast she goes? :) I found one way to speed up my Popper was to bring out his food bowl during training sessions - you wouldn't believe how much it sped up his weaves!

Lisa B. said...

It's waaay more fun to run agility with a fast dog than a slow one. I've done it both ways and I'll take a fast dog who's in danger of going off-course any second over a slow dog who does everything perfectly because fast and dangerous is where the adrenaline rush is.