Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Please excuse my absence ...

dog habitat

The past few weeks have been filled with packing, moving, unpacking and now painting, so I haven't had much time for dog adventure blogging. My new yard (.59 acres) is doggie heaven compared to my old one (.17 acres), and the girls really like it (as does Mr. Gomez who has come for a few visits). There are thickets of azaleas and other shrubby-type things all along the edges, full of critter scents (bunnies for sure), so Lucy thinks it's heaven. Also I think I may have moles in one part of the yard.

I'm hoping to have some agility equipment in there soon. The first purchase: a set of channel weaves. A friend's husband makes them at a great price, the trouble is I have to wait for him to actually make them. That's supposed to be done this week. I can't wait to start Pinky on a 12-pole channel (I've already started her on 6 using a set of rebar-and-pvc stick-in-the-ground poles).

Pinky is currently in a "Focus and Motivation" class at PBH, taught by Melanie Miller. It's a fun but slightly strange class in which we pair up with another dog/handler team and then take turns spending two minutes at different stations doing various exercises with the dogs. It's a little bit mind-blowing for Pinky at this point, but I think it will help her out. Trouble is I have had so little time for training and practice lately with all of my home-related work, and it's hard to establish a regular schedule when everything is so disorganized.

Lucy is in a "distance" class, which I'm hoping will help us toward those two Gambler's Qs we need for the ADCH. Also maybe I should try to schedule some actual practice time with Lucy. That seems to help somewhat.

On a completely unrelated note: I think I'd like to DNA test Pinky just for fun to see what's in her. But there appear to be a million zillion companies now offering the tests, and I don't know which one i should try. I'd love to hear opinions from people who have tried any of them.

5 comments:

Deb said...

I had my dog tested with the Canine Heritage test, and the results were inconclusive. I know several people who had the same disappointing results, and have read on the web and on blogs the same. I think it's a not-yet ready for primetime technology, personally.

Diana said...

Glad you are back blogging. Im sure you are happy about the big yard. Diana

Quincy's mom said...

I also tried the Canine Heritage test (cheek swab) and got inconclusive results. A total waste of time and money.

Your new backyard looks wonderful, and nice and level for agility practice!

Lisa B. said...

Hmmm, maybe I'll just remain in ignorance about Pinky's heritage.

Ella Bean said...

Wow! Your new digs look amazing!

I gave your site an award because I think its super cool and I check it out all the time!

Stop by my site to pick it up!

Kisses,
Ella Bean