Sunday, May 25, 2008

Still no progress toward the ADCH ... and a couple more videos

I had been full of hope this morning that we would manage to knock out one and maybe even two of the three remaining legs we need for our ADCH but, alas, it was not to be. We did start the day right with a nice Jumpers Q, which we followed up with a Pairs Q. It was our partners' first time in Masters Pairs, and the guy really wanted a Q. So I told him we would do our part to make sure he got it. And we did. The only real challenge on either half of the course was a difficult weave pole entry, but our class two weeks ago was devoted to that very problem, and it turned out to be not so much of a problem for us.

Our Standard run felt great--squeaky clean and (I thought) reasonably fast. I was sure we had Q'd. But when I checked the results, we had gotten first place in the 16" class, but we were 1.22 seconds over time. It just didn't seem right. There's a possibility Lucy ran a little wide in a few spots, but it felt like she was turning tightly enough. Only two dogs out of the entire Masters class qualified on that course, and time was an issue for a lot of people, so there was speculation that perhaps the judge wheeled the course incorrectly, leaving out a jump at some point. Oh well, there's nothing to be done about it; as folks like to say, "The agility gods giveth and the agility gods taketh away."

I had huge hopes for our Gamblers run because the gamble looked like one we could actually get. But Lucy, instead of taking the easy and correct end of a tunnel going under an A-frame, actually swerved right and went around the A-frame to the much more difficult, but incorrect, entrance. I couldn't have gotten her to do that if I had tried, but nonetheless I'm sure it was something I did. In fact, I know that as soon as I thought she was committed to the correct entrance, I made a move to get in position for the next part of the gamble. I think she saw my motion out of the corner of her eye and she moved accordingly. Oh well. She was trying to do the right thing.

Maybe we'll get that Standard Q tomorrow. In the meantime, here are a couple more videos. The first one is a happy one--the DAM team run that pushed "Will Work For Food" up from 11th place to a 7th place (qualifying) finish a couple of weeks ago.


"Will Work For Food" USDAA DAM Team Relay May 2008 from bunchofpants on Vimeo.

The second is a Steeplechase run from last December. A fumbled weave cost us too much time and we didn't Q, but otherwise it was a nice little run.


Lucy USDAA Steeplechase Dec. 2007 from bunchofpants on Vimeo.

2 comments:

Pacco de Mongrel said...

1.22 sec!?! d scoresheet must be kidding

Lisa B. said...

That's what I thought ;-)

But then there is a possibility that she took a little more time on the weaves and contacts than I realized--those things typically slow her down a little. A friend got the run on video, so when I get that I can see if maybe something wasn't as fast as I thought.