Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pinky is a big girl now



From that photo it looks like Pinky is a lot bigger than Lucy, but really it's not that much (perspective, y'know--Pinky's in the foreground). But she is indeed a teensy bit taller. Which means she's officially in the danger zone--it's very possible that she could get over 16". She's eight months old, and it's clear she's going to be medium-sized, so I'm hoping she'll stop growing any day now. I was trying to measure her this weekend, but she's really spooked by the wicket and it's hard to get her to stand up under it. So I'm not positive of her true height at this point. I just keep saying "Don't grow big, Pinky, don't grow big!"

At any rate, people love to try to guess what her mix could be. A lot of people insist that she has some smooth-coat border collie in her. Could be ... if so it's not so dominant in her behavior. I think that her personality is a lot more terrier. What do you think she is? Here are three photos I took the other day, trying to capture her at various angles (click the photos to see them larger):






I think she's probably a three-or four-way mix and there's not really any way to know for sure ... except maybe a DNA test. But in a way it's sort of good not knowing--I really have no preconceived notions about how she is supposed to behave. Still, it would be fun to have something to say other than "no idea" when people ask "what is she?" If you make up a breed, a lot of people will say "Oh really?" and just accept that you're serious. I met a guy who would say his dog was a "Wizenheimer" whenever people asked, and he said only a few people ever got it. Maybe I'll say Pinky's a Smooth-Coated Andean Shepherd, a breed developed by indigenous people on the western slopes of the Andes to herd guinea pigs.

10 comments:

Elayne said...

I still think she looks like a Bojack, maybe 3/4 BC and 1/4 Jack Russell(or Rat) Terrier. Could also be terrier mixed with McNab.

Lisa B. said...

McNabs are not at all popular around here--I've only met one person who has one, so it doesn't seem likely that some puppy given away to a seven-year-old kid in a church parking lot has any McNab in her ;-) Lots of people have border collies and JRTs, though. I still think she could be at least part feist. And everyone and their cousin in Durham has a pit bull, so PB/BC/feist wouldn't surprise me.

cedarfield said...

I'd say she's 100% cutorable (cute and adorable)! To me her head looks like a pit mix and her body Border Collie-ish.
Whatever she is I just want to squeeze her very hard and kiss her on her nose.

Lisa B. said...

I always want to hug and squeeze her, but she's too much of a wiggle worm ;-)

Cat, Tessie, & Strata said...

She is getting cute!

I hope your height battle works out. Strata and I lost ours -- he measured in at 16 1/4th" on Sunday. :( Unless he settles into it, it looks like no USDAA for us!

Pacco de Mongrel said...

i tends to say 'i dunno', when ppl ask me about my dog...

but do have the color n marking of a BC..

Lisa B. said...

Pacco, I've told people that Pinky's breed is "Wedunno" before. I think people just like to makes guesses, though--something to pass time between runs!

Cat (et al.), I'm sorry Strata got too big! Pinky will occasionally volunteer to jump over stuff when we're out and about, and she is amazingly springy, so I'll just train her to jump 22". I've seen a few shelties and even a big rat terrier do fine at that height, so I think we'll be able to do it. If bar knocking is a big problem we'll just run USDAA Performance. I love USDAA too much not to do it.

cedarfield said...

I fully expect my next dog to fall squarely into the 22" height group in USDAA championship so I will probably only do Performance with her.
I like the idea actually. I'd rather be in the ribbons in Performance than an also-ran in Championship :-)

Lisa B. said...

I'm not giving up yet on Pinky being in the ribbons in Championship even at 22' ;-)

PK said...

Pinky is vewwwy...vewwwy cute. My guess at breed mix. I see some terrier....maybe Staffie...or Rat Terrier. and Border Collie.
Where ever she jumps ...enjoy her.
Patti