Monday, April 14, 2008

Meh, it could have been better ...

My USDAA agility weekend was not so hot. On Friday our DAM team didn't Q, although we didn't completely suck. Lucy and I did passably well in most classes (we E'd in Standard), but our very young teammate dogs had a few oopses. I expected them both to E a few times, and I had been hoping I could run Lucy strong enough to make up for it. But I just didn't have a great day because I was feeling a bit weak and fatigued. When my day is not great, Lucy's isn't either. Her mistakes are really my mistakes. I went home Friday thinking that maybe I should just sleep late on Saturday and then take the dogs to a park.

Instead, I got up and went back out for more agility. I still wasn't feeling great, and consequently we had bad runs.

Sunday morning, I again considered skipping the trial, but then I realized that I actually felt pretty darn good. So I decided I would just leave the trial the moment I felt at all tired or stupid. We didn't Q in everything (just Jumpers and Snooker), but we had five really decent runs. I guess I do have a brag of sorts, although it seems too amazing to be true: little Lucy posted a jumpers time of 22.36 (on a 141 yard course). What's really flabbergasting is that I looked at all of the Masters dogs' times, and no one posted anything faster. Now Lucy's run was pretty darn fast and her turns were tight (and I saw a lot of wide turning and a few slips in the dewy grass by the bigger dogs), but I really have a hard time believing she was THAT fast! Her previous fastest Jumpers time (on a 140 yard course) was 27.60. So either Lucy was on fire Sunday morning and beat the feathers off a bunch of border collies, or the electronic timer made a mistake. I hope it was the former!

2 comments:

Pacco de Mongrel said...

lucy sounds like a ballistic missile...

Lisa B. said...

Only sometimes--the slightest miscue or confusion on my part slows her way down. But if I'm confident and clear with my cues, she can be a rocket.