Thursday, February 07, 2008

Kicking off a new agility year

I've not been a diligent dog-blogger lately, as life events have intervened. I won't go into detail (I have another blog for that sort of thing), but I'll just mention that my husband and I have separated and I'm insanely busy trying to prepare our house to sell (and looking for another house that I can afford solo). As far as my dog life is concerned, the biggest change is that my husband has custody of Mr. Gomez. I have visitation rights and I'm still allowed to do agility with him but the logistics of getting him for weekly classes just isn't working out right now. So I'm back down to one current agility dog.

I've also been too busy and stressed to do more than attend my weekly classes with Lucy, so I feel like we're a little out of practice. Nonetheless I decided to enter the first local USDAA trial of the year this weekend simply because I refuse to give up my favorite activity even though I don't really have time for it. I have one goal: have fun and don't stress out my dog. I know it's easier said than done, but I really, really don't want to focus on the Qs. I want to laugh off my mistakes, forgive myself for them and then forget them. And I want to be happy with Lucy just for running the course with me, whether it's the correct course or not.

I'm also looking forward to getting Pinky out an about at another trial. By the time she's ready to compete I want her to think of the trial environment as just another fun place we go so that she's completely relaxed. I also want to work some attention around people and other dogs. When she was a lot younger she was a bit timid with people and a little frightened by other puppies, so I socialized the heck out of her. Now I'm having the opposite problem--she's exuberantly outgoing! I love that she loves everyone she meets, human or canine, but I need her main focus to be me. So a trial environment is a great opportunity to work on that.

Oh, and in the "How big is Pinky going to get" department, I am pleased to report that she's still little and her growth has started to level off a bit. She'll be six months old next week, and she's still an inch shorter than Lucy and under 20 lbs. (18.7 to be exact). So I may yet get my wish of stying in the 16" height class. Here's her growth chart to date:

3 comments:

Elf said...

Sorry to hear about the separation & selling the house and so on. I've been through that. It's quite an emotional ride. I think you're right to focus on positive experiences for yourself.

-ellen

Lisa B. said...

Thanks! That's pretty much why I decided to do the trial even though we're a little out of practice. I just want to do what I love, even if I do it badly!

Johann The Dog said...

Wow, you have a lot of 'stuff' going on...really sorry for all that you have to go through.

Yep, go and have the best agility time ever this weekend! Play, smile, laugh, and be with your pups...it's always the best medicine for me!