Monday, February 18, 2008

The dogs and their car


all dogged up
Originally uploaded by bunchofpants
I've had both dogs in the new Honda Fit a few times, and I'm quite happy with the space. I've decided to put the crates toward the rear, which leaves me plenty of space forward of them for trial gear. I could even fit in another crate if I wanted and still have a little room to spare--not that I'm planning the acquisition of another dog, but it's still good to know.

There are cargo tie-down rings that I will use to anchor the crates with bungees in the future. In the photo above they're not anchored--I was just taking the dogs to a nearby park, but I realized after I set out that if I had to slam on the brakes both crates would slide forward with no gear in the way to stop them.

I could probably free up some more space by putting both dogs in one crate--they would both fit in Lucy's wire crate, or I could use the bigger one that I used for Gomey. Lucy has shared a crate with a friend's dog before, but in general I think she prefers solitude. Perhaps when Pinky gets older and more settled it will work, but right now I think she would pester Lucy too much. I'm still considering other options for space arrangement, like using a removable platform for the crates or getting some 3-door crates and moving them forward.

So far, I'm loving the new dogmobile!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not put your trial gear at the very back and have your dog crates in the center. They would be safe if you were ever to be rear ended and the side curtain airbags would protect them from any side impacts.

Lisa B. said...

I can't do that without buying new 3-door crates because I wouldn't be able to open the crate doors.

Johann The Dog said...

Looking good! I worry about my dogs being in the 'way' back. But that's the only spot they can be in our car.

When we had the accident, I purposely went into the grassy median so that the person behind me wouldn't rear end us. I'm sure I won't always have that luxury or time to negotiate.

Maybe you could trade with someone on the three door crates, I see people doing that at trials all the time...just a thought, I thought of :)

It's amazing how much room there is in your new mobile! Big congrats again, I love getting a new car...it happens so infrequently :)

Elayne said...

The car looks great.

I use nylon tie downs for securing my gear & crate rather than bungees. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about them popping loose and becoming projectiles in an accident or even from slamming on the brakes. Also they're not as secure tie downs. I got mine at Home Depot but I think Target sells them too.

Lisa B. said...

Good to know, Elayne!

Johann, I think I may just buy the three-door crates ;-) There aren't that many people at the trials I go to with smallish dogs. We're really heavy on the 22" jumpers around here.

Pacco de Mongrel said...

i'm getting a new dogmobile in 2 months time... as this was my 1st car, i was pretty excited about it..

but it never came across my mind to crate my dog....because previously, when my dad is driving, i will hugging my dog on the passenger seat behind...

cedarfield said...

Poor Lucy! She has so many crate pads she can't even lie down ;-)

Lisa B. said...

She can too lie down! I use a bed pillow in her crate because if there's one thing that dog likes, it's a pillow (one of her nicknames is Princess Plush Pillow). I cover it with a faux fleece, but she usually digs around to make herself a comfy spot and bunches the fleece up in a corner.

Quincy's mom said...

I am thinking about a new dogmobile fairly soon (6 months, maybe). What are the dimensions of the crates in your picture? I'd need to fit a 24.5 x 36 x 26 crate and a 21.5 x 27 x 20 crate in there. Would they fit, do you think?

Lisa B. said...

Lucy's crate is about the size of your second crate, and Pinky's is a little smaller. The best way to see if your crates would fit would be to take them to a Honda dealer and try it.

Hippie Dogs said...

Hi there, I've been looking into purchasing a Honda Fit and was wondering what size crates are displayed in the picture. I have two border collies, one about 21"/45 lbs. and the other about 18.5"/28 lbs. The smaller seems to fit in about anything so I'm hoping I could just get a slightly smaller crate for her for the road.

Lisa B. said...

The crates are both 24" long by 18" wide. One of them is 21" high and the other is 22" high. I could probably fit a third crate of the same size in there, plus some gear.

Probably the best thing to do would be to take your crates to the dealer when you test drive, and then see how they fit inside.