Thursday, September 13, 2007

Lucy update

I went to class with Lucy last night ... it's true, I'm too addicted to agility to quit or even miss one single class. Before class I did some weaves, contacts and tables with Lucy, and she did them all beautifully (well, her table downs could be a teensy bit faster). Not only was she weaving well and very quickly, but when we finished a set, unless I directed her to another obstacle, she'd flip herself around and head back towards the weaves right after getting her reward. She seemed like she was enjoying them. So hopefully there's nothing physically wrong with her, although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to get her an athletic evaluation at VetHab just to be sure.

So our off-kilter weekend could have been because of any of the following: it was really hot (mid-to-high 90s); she wasn't fully recovered from the three-day trial the previous weekend; I'm a dorky handler; I was feeling a bit tired and cranky; I was running two dogs and their runs and walkthroughs kept coming up at the same time (which really stresses me out); and I need to master the "mental game" as much as I need to hone my handling. I think it was all of the above.

My friend Barb just lent me her copy of With Winning in Mind by Lanny Basham, who was an Olympic gold medalist and world champion in shooting. I'm not a big fan of self-help books in general, but I'll give this a try. Barb never finished it, and she wants me to report back to her on it--in other words, I think she wants me to read it so she doesn't have to. I've flipped through it a bit and saw one bad sign: it involves affirmations. I'm sorry, but I've actually tried affirmations before, and nothing ever made me feel like a bigger loser than sitting there telling myself what a winner I was. But what the hell, I can at least read the guy's book before I form a judgement of it. For all I know affirmations are just what I need.

No comments: