Friday, June 22, 2007

Great googely-moogely: NADAC Hoopers "Phase II" rules

I don't even know what to think after reading this post at the Elite Forces of Fuzzy Destruction blog about the "Phase II" rules for NADAC Hoopers. May I please apologize for having called it lame before? Because lame is better than ... words are failing me, but I think "stupidly insane" is apropos.

OK, maybe I'm overstating it a bit, because honestly, it seems like Sharon Nelson is trying to come up with something to rival USDAA's Snooker game, which is incredibly fun and not at all lame. But really, is it too much to ask to have a few actual obstacles on a agility course? I mean, if I ever get to the point where my dog is too old or too lame to do anything but step through a hula-hoop an inch off the ground I really hope I'll have the good sense to save my money, stay home and rub my dog's belly as he or she snuggles next to me on the sofa.

But then again, if I had a novice dog who wasn't weaving yet, I suppose I'd be glad for yet one more game I could do at a trial. But once that dog gained full skills, I think that I'd be a little less excited about the whole Hoopers thing. If Sharon decides to make it a requirement for a NATCH I'll have one more reason to treat NADAC as only a training venue and not care about the titles. Not that I even really have any idea what's involved in getting a NATCH because the NADAC titles and awards chart has been offline for "important revisions" for months and I never bothered to look it up before the chart disappeared.

More discussion on the new Hoopers rules can be found at the NADAC Yahoo group. Well, "discussion" only if you define the word to mean "everyone tells Sharon how great they think Hoopers will be and maybe asks a clarifying question or two"

6 comments:

Elayne said...

For some inexplicable reason she changed the rules for Chances at NADAC Champs and you shoulda heard the explanation. It was first thing in the morning, first class of Champs and it took her at least 45 minutes to explain it. Thankfully I wasn't entered because after watching it for 20 minutes or so I still couldn't figure it out. I'm not entirely sure but I think the Hokey Pokey was involved. Oh yeah, she won the class as well but that's whole nuther can of worms.

Lisa B. said...

That sort of thing is exactly why people often wonder if she's maybe a little crazy. It's a real shame, because despite my grousing, I generally find NADAC trials to be fun and relaxing, and I really like Tunnelers, Touch & Go and Weavers. If there were only some consistency and sense in the organization I would easily become as dedicated to NADAC as I am to USDAA.

Cedarfield said...

I have to say that Sharon seems bent on ruining a (once) great agility organization. I haven't done NADAC in years because there are now so many USDAA trials around but when NADAC first started it was really fun. I wonder why she's so.....strange.

Lisa B. said...

I think she's so determined to make NADAC completely different from USDAA that she's not thinking things through very well. Or something ... I'm just speculating ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think Sharon Nelson changes entire rules on a whim. Since she's the Nadac dictator and listens to no one (don't even try to post on the yahoo list if it's constructive critism because Sharon will not let it thru), she's made mince meat of a once good organization. I'll spend my $ elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that on cinemutt there's a blog by the administrator. Pretty cool entries but it's new so there aren't very many yet. I really like his take on agility vs life.