Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A quick agility recap ...

OK, so I've been a combination of lazy/busy, and even though I've been dying to blather on about our agility weekend almost two weeks ago, I just haven't done it. But in a luck coincidence, I just happened to get my three favorite runs on video, so I'll just share the highlights.

First, Mr. Gomez had one qualifying run out of four which, considering that he can be such a goofball, is fine with me. It was in P1 standard, and even though I had to fix his weaves (he pooped out before the last pole) and take three tries to get him through the tire, we were still almost two seconds under time (hooray for the USDAA's Performance option--we would not have qualified in Starters!):


Second, Lucy qualified in three runs (Advanced Gamblers, Grand Prix and Masters Jumpers, of which my favorite was the Gamblers run because she really rocked the joker and we won first place (out of 8 dogs). The one mistake was that she didn't take the first jump I asked her to, but since it was Gamblers, it didn't really matter much:


My third favortie run wasn't a Q, but I'm very proud of it nonetheless because it was the hardest course we have ever run (a Masters Standard course by Janet Gauntt), yet our only fault was the table. I wish I could post a course map, because the video doesn't really illustrate how tough the course was--even seasoned masters-level competitors told me they thought it was very difficult. So for our only problem to be at the table felt pretty good to me (and I think Lucy's behavior was a stress reaction from just having had three very quick and slightly confusing lead changes.) My favorite bit was at the end when I counter-hand turned her out of the weaves to the tire--it worked way better than I expected it to:


So now we have a break in showing until the end of February. I've got lots to work on in the meantime ...

2 comments:

Elayne said...

I dunno, I think that course looks pretty complicated even without seeing the map. I've seen that 180 turn out of the weaves to a jump challenge in several courses this year, both USDAA and NADAC. I like that flip/rear cross out of the weaves and that's usually how I handle it but most of the other people in my classes did whatever they could to avoid it, don't know why. Did anyone with a big striding dog try to front cross the triple before the weaves? Just wondering how that would work out, maybe something to set up in practice for myself.

Elayne

Lisa B. said...

Lots of people tried to front-cross after the triple, and it looked very difficult for the ones with big-striding dogs because of the sharp turn. I didn't see anyone else do what I did (but I didn't watch every single run, either). I use the flip a lot with Lucy--she responds very well to it, so it seemed like the best way to handle that situation.