Friday, June 23, 2006

Babies and Pets in Slate:

Emily Yoffe weighs in over at Slate on the topic of pets and kids in Why Can't We All Just Get Along? The complex dynamics of babies and pets.

I don't think my parents gave even a passing thought to the issue of how we kids and the dogs would get along. They just figured it would all work out somehow ... and somehow it did. (Although my mother likes to tell the story of how, when I was a few years old, our beagle bit me and I just turned around and bit her back. I'm sure I deserved to be bit, but the beagle and I seemed to get along well from that point on.)

Advice on pets and kids is very good to know, seeing as how I teach puppy classes, but I don't believe I'll ever need to try it first-hand. I've decided not to have kids because it would cut into my dog training time. (Kidding--that's only one of the reasons I'm not having any!)

No comments: